It is among the most sacred places of Tamil Nadu and is one of the most eminent pilgrimage sites. It is situated on a stunning isle in the lower region of Indian panorama and is alienated from Sri Lanka by a small waterway called Pamban. It is famous as temple city as it features a number of recognized shrines. It is the place that houses the sea bridge that Lord Rama built to rescue his soulmate Sita, from Ravana the Demon. This pilgrimage site is visited by a large number of pilgrims throughout the year. It falls under the Munnar Gulf.
History And Legend Associated With Rameshwaram:
According to a famous religious belief, the original shrine of Ramanathaswamy was built by Lord Rama. The origin of the holy place dates back to 12 century according to the historical facts. Based on chronological facts it is supposed that he structure of the enormous, yet splendid shrine of Sri Ramanathaswamy was instigated in the 12th century AD by Parakrama Bahu of Sri Lanka.It was finished by Ramanathapuram’s Setupathy rulers. After that many monarchs added various constructions to the holy place. The latest one of these, called the 3rd prakaram (the long corridor), was built in 18th century. It has folklores associated with the epic Ramayana.
On the peninsular tip of Rameshwaram, the Jyotirlinga of Lord Shiva is located that was installed by Lord Rama during his way to attack Ravana.
Major Pilgrimage Attractions :
Ramanathaswamy Temple : This holy place was constructed in the 17th century and is located near to the sea on the eastern face of the island. This place of worship is renowned for its 1200 extremely large granite columns. The 54 meters tall gopuram, 1220 meters of outstanding corridors and the showy columns beautify and render distinction to the shrine. It also houses 22 sacred wells and the water from all these wells tasted different.
Erwadi : It is a significant place for Muslim pilgrims and houses the crypt of Ibrahim Sahid Aulia. It is sited at a distance of 24 kms. During the month of December to take part in the annual celebration as a tribute to this saint, thousands of Muslims from all parts of the world visit this place.
Agnitheertham : It is 100 meters away from the holy place, where Rama applauded Lord Shiva, to pardon himself from the carnage of Ravana.
Gandamadana Parvatham : Here Lord Rama’s imprint of feet are placed on a Chakra in this shrine. It is at an elevation point on the islet, which is 2 km far from Rameswaram.
Dhanushkodi : It is named after the bow of Lord Rama and is at the eastern part of the island at a remoteness of 8 kms. The rocks around the sea stuck between Sri Lanka and this site is recognized as Adam's bridge. It is believed that this path was used by Hanuman to reach across Sri Lanka. The cyclones of 1964 completely destroyed this place. Kothandaramaswamy holy place is the only rescue of the tropical storm.
Other Surrounding Destination :
How To Get In
Air : Madurai (174 km) is the nearest airport that connects with Chennai, Bangalore, Thiruchi and Mumbai.
Train : It has well-connected rail network that links to the cities like Chennai, Bangalore, Trichy, Coimbatore, Madurai and Tirunelveli City.
- Pondicherry to Rameswaram is 435 Kilometers / 270 Miles.
- Tiruchirapalli to Rameswaram: 240 km. Drive takes about 4.8 hours by car.
- Trivandrum to Rameswaram: 401 km, takes approx 7 hrs, 27 minutes by road.
- IMadurai to Rameswaram: 173 km. Drive from these locations takes about 3.46 hrs by car.
- Kanyakumari to Rameshwaram: 325 km and takes about 6 hrs, 24 minutes by road.
- Tirunelveli to Rameswaram: 252 km, approx 5 hrs, 10 minutes by road.
- Chennai to Rameswaram: 571 km. takes about 11.42 hrs by car.
- Tirupati to Rameshwaram: 737 km and takes approx 13 hrs, 30 minutes by train.
- The Shore Temple: 6.00 am to 5.30
- The Krishna Mandapam: From Monday to Friday (sunrise to sunset)
- The Vishnu Cave Temple: From Monday to Friday (sunrise to sunset)
- The Pancha Ratha: From Monday to Friday (sunrise to sunset)
- The Mahishasuramardini Mandapam: From Monday to Friday (sunrise to sunset)
Temple Timings Of Rameshwaram:
- 5.00 AM: Palliyarai (Sayanagruha) Deeparadhana
- 5.45 AM:Thiruvananthal Deeparadhana
- 5.10 AM: Saptika linga Deeparadhana
- 7.00 AM: Vila Puja
- 10.00 AM: Kaalasanthi Puja
- 12.00 Noon: Uchikala Puja
- 6.00 PM: Saayaraksha Puja
- 8.45 PM: Palliyarai Puja
- 8.30 PM: Ardhajaama Puja
- Best Season : Oct - April
- Languages : Tamil
- Weather : Summer: 25 to 38°C, Winter: 17 to 32°C